Thursday, August 20, 2009

Needle Arts

I can knit. I'm not an expert but maybe an advanced intermediate. I do needlepoint & bargello and I must say I do it well! I can embroider. I can sew a hem and attach a button. I even know how (or knew how)to do tatting and hoop lace. But crochet is old/new to me. My maternal grandmother crocheted with a needle as fine as a hair and thread the same but crocheting was never my thing. I can do the stitches but cannot follow/read directions. Under expert instruction I was able to create many pieces eons ago but with no one around these days I'm left to my own devices. I bought a book called "Crochet for Kids" and it is a huge help so I've ventured into a few pieces and am generally pleased. Now I have embarked on an afghan for my home, not for sale. It took 4 tries to get the squares correct and I am enjoying the portability of it. I'm not sure of the best way to put it together but I have time to seek out help. I have about 20 more squares to complete and I will show it off IF I like it. If not, well, anyone who needs a dog blanket may apply!
Here is a trio of my basic stitch endeavors.


4 comments:

Calabash Creations said...

I wish that I had the knack for handling a needle -- knitting, crocheting,embroidering....
Any needle arts project that I tackle usually ends up being a disaster.

I'm just glad that you are a wiz at it!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

I do not have the knack for crocheting. My mom LOVES to crochet and her favorite thing to do is take a stuffed animal pattern and make it with a smaller needle and thread. We like to call them mini stuffies. She showed me a couple times how to crochet, but I think I shall stick with polymer clay.

overthetopaprons said...

Very nice .... I just joined the Blog group on We Love Etsy. I have enjoyed reading about you and your work.

PussDaddy said...

I never could knit, but I can crochet. I have been working on an afghan for forever for my husband. I didn't know you opened up a fiber shop. It looks nice.

PussDaddy