Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Breathe......

Crafters are a unique bunch. Compulsive, obsessive, dedicated, energetic, talented, focused. I'm sure those traits are apparent in many fields but since I'm a member of this club, that is my observation.We search our brains for unique projects. We shop for the materials. We organize our work spaces. We execute the item. Photos are taken. Listings created. Postings regarding said items go on forums, Facebook, Twitter, etc. We compliment others and thank those that acknowledge us. We wait and wait and wait for the Paypal notice...you've made a sale. Sometimes it's in 5 minutes of a posting. Often it's way longer.

Now all I've described above should be only a small part of our day but for many the percentage is too high. Most crafters have other jobs, homes, school, families needing attention. Frustration seeps in. Questioning arises...why don't they like me? What am I doing wrong? How come she sells and I don't?
Public moaning is posted on the internet. Comraderie & understanding from fellow artisans helps but maybe, just maybe,
this is the time to walk away from the computer. Leave the craft space. Put the camera down and change direction.

Pick up a book. Weed the garden. Bake bread. Watch a movie. Visit a friend.

Remove yourself from the craft environment and breathe. Do not let your shop/items/creations be 100% of your life. There's much more out there. Refresh  and when you finally do check back in, bingo, there may be a sale. And if not, move on.
Do what you love and love what you do!


11 comments:

PaperOnParade said...

Wise advise! When we turn our focus else where for a while, our creativity get new light! Thanks for this wonderful article!

Unknown said...

Great advice. I've done just that and it makes a world of difference. Thanks for sharing.

Grandmother Carolyn said...

Ah, you said it so eloquently with that one word, "Bingo!"
Carolyn

cheeky rose said...

My garden is my retreat when things get to heavy, a bit of digging gets rid of all fustration

Raige Creations said...

great post, Barbra! I was recently forced to have a day away, and started today again with other things to do, but I found relaxation and the ease of stress sitting an making a new stick shift cozy. then I could tackle some of the other things I had to do. Either way, taking a step back and breathing is a good re-boot. :) thanks for the reminder to breathe.

Amy@10th Ave. said...

How funny, Barbra! I just wrote a blog post (rant) that was a bit different but concluded much the same way. So very true!

Arty said...

Perfect post Barbra! If we're to focus only on the when, why and how come, we'd go crazy.

Unknown said...

I loved this post Barbra. You are so sensible in your approach to things and your words are so helpful to so many of us. Thank you for giving us this wonderful insight.

Abracadebra Designs said...

Hey Barb, Excellent post. I really admire your outlook on things.

Heather Leavers said...

I hope you're following your own advice? You're quite right of course, and it's the sort of thing I say to other people but forget to listen myself!

Andrew Thornton said...

I believe that all that we do informs the work we make. The color of a childhood sunset is set in our DNA and it comes out in the way we create. So living life is essential. We cannot make work in a vacuum.

And I think that it's important to remember that the rising tide raises all boats. If we support and encourage those around us, it's returned. Some call it karma, others the Golden Rule... but it just makes sense. When we support each other, we all thrive.