Saturday, December 17, 2011

Lesson Learned

So in my last post I ranted and raved about devaluing my work, marking down prices, the value of a sale.
And what did I do? Had a sale!!!! Head hanging in shame? No, this one worked. Why?
Last week was my last show of the season and we all know meeting and talking to people in real life is vastly different than our on-line experiences. I also am well aware of what I call the "touch factor"....beng able to pick up, touch, try on beats examing a photo on the computer. As I was packing for the sale I was thinking how some pieces have been with me awhile. Read that as:OLD! I want them gone!
I decided to have a sale on my hats, gloves and scarves-a pre-holiday draw. I also sent an e-mail blast to local friends, neighbors and previous buyers, offering them the sale price AND delivery. I would never do this at the start of the craft show season but since it was my last, I felt it was worth a go.

Well, it worked! I had a good fair, moved many scarves, hats & gloves and the verbal interaction definitely made the difference. That also included 4 local sales.
The best comment I heard was "Your prices are so reasonable, I feel like I'm stealing!"....to which I replied, "Well, you can pay full price!!!"...she bought.


The lesson learned: Sales may work in real life.
Did I lose any money? No.
Did I network? Yes.
Did I devalue myself? No.
Oh, did I mention I had the same sale going at the same time online? Zip, zilch, nada.
And now I have some extra coin to buy more yarn and make new items. Well, I won't buy any yarn....we all know how huge the stash is.....the photo shows a teeny fraction!

In case we don't 'talk', I hope your holiday is warm and wonderful!

5 comments:

Finding Charm said...

I'm glad you had a good experience. Don't hear that too often any more about the shows.

Mel said...

I'm glad your sale went well. I also sell craft at markets, and often will put things on sale to make room for the new. When the older items are gone I feel ready to move onto new fresh designs!

Raige Creations said...

that is awesome! I think delving into the local market helps us all get through the slow times online. And congrats on your success with the sale!

Unknown said...

Congrats on a good "sale".. I only did one craft fair this year, maybe more next year - they are alot of work!! I plan to send a New Year message to customers and hope for some "New Year" sales!

Sandra Tyler said...

That's inspiring; I did send out an email blast to all my past customers after my own last of the season show; Never heard a word from anyone. I always worry that those emails wind up in spam boxes. But yes, I agree -- at least for me, touching and feeling my work is key. Selling on line seems hopeless.