Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Irene

My Mom's name was Irene. I always loved the name,especially since it started with a vowel and as a child, I thought that was special. She was special,too. Talented and warm, she suffered from middle child syndrome. She had an older and younger sister and never felt she had anything special to offer. She even dyed her hair red to stand out. Not the baby, nor the first she rarely accepted herself for who she was....a strong, creative, giving person that everyone liked to be around, including her sisters.
It's coming up on 20 years since she's gone and I still miss her. Always will and it makes me sad to think my child one day will experience these feelings of longing. But that's life and it does go on. I still talk to her and have unanswered questions and the apron strings were long ago cut but I was blessed.
So though it may be a cliche, it's true....love the ones who are here now because tomorrow, who knows? I take pride that we often expressed our love for each other and I wouldn't do much differently if I could.
The memories are sweet but there will always be a bit of a hole in my heart.

I♥I!

3 comments:

A.D. Duling said...

Hi Barbra,

I liked you post on the name of Irene for the A to Z Challenge. I have added your blog to today's A.D.'s FAV 5 of the challenge.
http://adduling.wordpress.com/

A.D.

Grandmother Carolyn said...

Interesting - isn't it ironic that now that we are THEIR age, we miss them the most?

Thanks for sharing this,
((HUGS))!

JoJo said...

My mom's name is Irene too. :)

Visiting from A-Z
http://tahomabeadworks.blogspot.com/